Union County is named for the Union side of the American Civil War.
Created: April 10, 1862
Victoria 1862 – 1864
Richland 1864 – 1865
Elk Point 1865 – present
County Courthouse – Elk Point
Location: 209 East Main Street / North Court Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: Fritzel, Kroeger, Griffin & Berg of Sioux Falls
Contractor: Wiltgen Construction Inc. of LeMars, Iowa
Description: The building faces south and is a one story yellow colored concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. On the south front the center entrance is glass with a curved top section. The building is rectangular with deeply scored pre-cast concrete panels. At the south front, the large glass windows are topped with a raised roof area containing clerestory windows. Projecting from the windows in an upward barrel shape, is a decorative area of wood. The building is topped with a plain, darker colored cornice. The roof line is flat. There is a small plaza along the south side of the building. The courtroom is located on the northeast side and contains a number of murals. A second courtroom is located in the basement. On the northeast side is the County Jail,
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by G W Bunkhead and constructed in 1898.
N – Lincoln County
Photos taken 2007, 2009 and 2018