Plymouth County is named for Plymouth, Massachusetts, the first settlement of the Pilgrims in 1620.
Created: January 15, 1851
Melbourne 1851 – 1872
Le Mars 1872 – present
County Courthouse – Le Mars
Location: 215 4th Avenue SE / 2nd Street SE
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Kinney & Detweiler of Austin, Minnesota
Contractor: Emil Miller of Le Mars
Description: The building faces north and is a three story reddish colored sandstone structure. The north front has a large Greek style portico with four large sandstone columns rising to a pediment at the roof line and wide sandstone steps. The original dome has been removed.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Melbourne. In 1874, the second courthouse was built in Le Mars at a cost of $3,000.
N – Sioux County
E – Cherokee County
S – Wodbury County
W – Union County, South Dakota
Photos taken 2007