Fall River County is named for the Fall River which flows through the county.
Created: April 3, 1883
Hot Springs 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Hot Springs
Location: 906 North River Street / Minnekahta Avenue
Built: 1891 – 1892
Architect: Charles P Brown
Contractor: Fred T Evans & Company
Description: The building faces east and is a four story native red colored sandstone structure. The building has a square central tower with an arched entrance on the second story. Stone stairs rise to the second story. The top of the tower has long vertical niches. Smaller towers with high windows are on the north and south corners.
Note: The contractor Fred T Evans owned the land on which the courthouse was erected. The cost of construction was $23,000 with an additional $3,750 for the jail. While the courthouse was being constructed, court was held in the Opera House. The courthouse serves Shannon County which consists almost entirely of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Matters related to the Oglala Sioux Tribal members, however, are handled by the Tribal Court in Pine Ridge.
N – Custer County
W – Niobrara County, Wyoming
Photos taken 2009 and 2015