Aurora County is named for “Aurora”, who is The Roman goddess of the dawn.
Created: October 1, 1879
County Seat: Plankington 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Plankington
Location: 401 North Main Street / West 4th Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Floyd F Kings and Walter J Dixon
Contractor: A J Clocksin ( superintendent ) ( WPA )
Description: The building .faces east and is a three story rectangular gray colored stone faced and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. Vertical bands divide the windows on the second to third stories. Vertical bands are on either side of the main east entrance. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the west side of the third story. This was a Works Project Administration project and A J Clocksin was the superintendent of construction. Local labor and trades were employed during the construction.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1884.
N – Jerauld County
E – Davison County
W – Brule County
Photos taken 2007 and 2018