Douglas County is named for Stephen A Douglas, who was a United States Senator from Illinois.
Created: January 10, 1873
Brownsdale 1881 – 1882
Huston 1882 – 1890
Grand View 1890 – 1894
Armour 1894 – present
County Courthouse – Armour
Location: 706 Braddock Street / 1st Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: C Perkins & McWayne of Sioux Falls
Contractor: Gray Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red-brown colored brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a projecting center section with white colored stone facing on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story forming three vertical arches. Above is a header. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line and a white colored stone band runs below the second story windows. The courtroom is located on the west side of the third story.
Note: The first courthouse was a building purchased in Brownsdale in 1881. A courthouse was built in Armour in 1895 and the previous courthouse was built in 1902.
Photos taken 2009, 2010 and 2018