Bon Homme County is named for Bon Homme Island in the Missouri River, so named by a French voyageur meaning “good man”.
Created: April 5, 1862
Bon Homme 1862 – 1885
Tyndall 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Tyndall
Location: 300 West 18th Avenue / Ivy Street
Built: 1914 – 1915
Style: Neo-Classical and Beaux Arts
Architect: Joseph A Schwarz
Contractor: A M Wold Construction Company of Brookings
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored granite and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the northwest of the center of the city. On the second and third stories, there are six stone columns. The south front section projects from the main building and the base is horizontal gray colored stone. Above the entrance door is a stone crest. Inside is a rotunda beneath an enclosed skylight. The courtroom is located on the west side of the third story.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Bon Homme in 1873. The previous courthouse was built in Tyndall in 1884. The cost of construction was $92,000.
E – Yankton County
S – Knox County, Nebraska
Photos taken 2007 and 2018