Davison County is named for Henry C Davison, who was an important local merchant and politician.
Created: January 8, 1873
Mitchell 1879 – present
County Courthouse – Mitchell
Location: 200 East 4th Avenue / Lawler Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Floyd F Kings and Walter J Dixon of Mitchell
Contractor: P W Kuipers Company of Mitchell
Description: The building faces south and is a four story rectangular yellow colored stone faced structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. Vertical stone dividers separate the windows on the second to fourth stories. At each corner the first story projects in a square addition to the main building. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the south side of the third story. The second courtroom is located on the north side of the second story.
County Public Safety Center – Mitchell
Location: 1015 South Miller Avenue / Havens Avenue
Description: The building faces east and is a two story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the southwest of the center of the city. The building was formerly a hospital, the north part of which was demolished and the south part was converted into detention center and courthouse. The building has horizontal windows and angled corners with a high central tower. The east front has a canopy. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the northeast side of the second story.
N – Sanborn County
E – Hanson County
W – Aurora County
County Public Safety Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2018