Woodbury County is named for Levi Woodbury, who was a governor of New Hampshire, United States Secretary of the Navy, United States Secretary of the Treasury and Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Created: January 15, 1851
Sioux City 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Sioux City
Location: 620 Douglas Street / 7th Street
Built: 1915 – 1918
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William LaBarthe Steele and George Grant Elmslie and William Gray Pucell both of Minneapolis
Contractor: Splady, Albee & Smith
Description: The building faces west and is a ten story buff colored Roman brick and granite structure. The west entrance has a large square brick arch with sculptured figures representing the Spirit of Law. The main building rises five stories. In the center is a multi-story tower rising 157 feet. The interior is decorated with murals by John W Norton and has a skylight.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1857, The second courthouse was designed by William L Foster and constructed by Charles E Hedges and D T Hedges in 1878 at a cost of $75,000.
E – Ida County
S – Monona County
Photos taken 2008