Dakota County is named for the Dakota Native American tribe and the word means “allies” or “brother”.
Created: January 15, 1851
Dakota City 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Dakota City
Location: 1601 Broadway Street / North 16th Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Art Deco
Architect: R F Reynolds of Sioux City, Iowa
Contractor: Work Projects Administration using local trades
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored stucco and concrete structure. The central entrance has a vertical square pillar on each side with a header. The building was constructed under the Work Projects Administration program. An addition was built on the east side in 1975. The contractor was Paul Bielenberg and the engineer was Eldon Schroder.
Note: Under the Work Projects Administration the contractor was numerous trades including C W Sutter & Son ( plumbing ), C E Millis ( electrical ), Lyman-Rickey Sand and Gravel ( gravel ), Otto F Bridge ( windows).
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Augustine T Haase and A H Baker in 1871.
E – Woodbury County, Iowa
S – Thurston County
W – Dixon County
Photos taken 2008 and 2012