Sioux County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Sioux County
Sioux

Sioux County is named for the Sioux Native American tribe who lived in the area.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Lyon County

E – O’Brien County

S – Plymouth County

W – Union County, South Dakota and Lincoln County, South Dakota

 

Created:  January 15, 1851                    Map of Iowa highlighting Sioux County

County Seat:

Calliope        1851 – 1872

Orange City  1872 – present

 

County Courthouse – Orange City

 

Location:  210 Central Avenue SW / 2nd Street SW

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Kinney & Detweiler

Contractor:  Emil Miller

 

Description: The building faces north and is a three story reddish colored sandstone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Orange City. The north front has a large Greek style portico with four large sandstone columns and wide sandstone steps. Above rises a large square clock tower with turrets and steep red roof with a statue of Justice at the top. The building has white colored stone trim around the windows and along the roof line. Public areas of the courthouse have marble floors, wainscoting and baseboards. The courtroom has oak woodwork, wainscoting and furnishings, original gas/electric light fixtures, and features a blind arcade across the front wall with a fresco above the bench. In the main hall are four portraits done by Fred Reinders, of Hospers, Iowa. They depict the four members of the scouting party sent from Pella, Iowa in 1869 to seek a location for a Dutch colony in Sioux County, which began the real settlement of the area. A painting of the expedition, also by Reinders, accompanies the portraits. The building houses the County District Court of the 3B Judicial District. The building was renovated from 1976 to 1982.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Sioux County Courthouse

 

See:  The 3B Judicial District includes Crawford County, Ida CountyMonona County, Plymouth County and Wodbury County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and Calliope was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log fort-like structure erected in Calliope in 1860. The county seat was moved to Orange City in 1872. The county was housed in rented premises and the second courthouse was a frame structure erected in 1872. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1902 to 1904.

 

 

395f07

County Courthouse – Orange City

 

 

396f07

 

 

397f07

 

 

399f07

 

 

401f07

 

 

402f07

 

 

400f07

Pictures taken 2007