Charles Mix County is named for Charles Mix, who was a commissioner of Indian affairs.
Created: May 8, 1862
Papineau 1862 – 1869
Platte Creek 1869 – 1878
Wheeler 1878 – 1916
Lake Andes 1916 – present
County Courthouse – Lake Andes
Location: 400 Main Street / South 5th Avenue
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Prairie School
Architect: William L Steele
Contractor: A M Wold Construction Company of Brookings
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front entrance projects from the main building on the first story. The center section also projects and has vertical windows. The east and west wings are lower with the center of the building rising higher. Each of the third floor window bays is topped with projecting terra cotta cornices with a floral design. The center bay on the front facade has a projecting vestibule which enters the courthouse midway between the first and second floors. The vestibule is surrounded by decorative terra cotta panels. Each of the roof levels is hidden behind parapets which are topped with a light-colored coping below which is a course of alternating recessed soldier bricks. The interior has low ceilings and exotic woodwork, stained glass windows, including a stained glass dome, and elegant panels and friezes. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. William Steele, the architect who designed it, had worked for Louis Sullivan.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $119,000.
W – Gregory County
Photos taken 2009, 2010, 2016 and 2018