Sully County

US States / O-U / South Dakota / Sully County
Sully

Sully County is named for General Alfred Sully, who was the builder of Fort Sully.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Dewey County and Potter County

E – Hyde County

S – Hughes County

W – Stanley County and Dewey County 

 

Created:   January 8, 1873                     Map of South Dakota highlighting Sully County

County Seat:

Clffton  1883 – 1884

Onida   1884 – present

 

County Courthouse – Onida

 

Location:  700 Ash Avenue / 7th Street

Built:  1912 – 1913

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Black Hills Company of Deadwood ( W M Rich )

Contractor:  Gray Construction Company of Watertown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Onida. On the center of the roof is an open dome with black colored roof and clock. Around the roof is a stone balustrade. On south front is a portico supported by two stone columns and two square stone pillars. A beltcourse separates the first and second stories. An entablature spans the building with a dentil molding, providing a transition between entablature and cornice. The first story of stone is laid out in a rusticated pattern. The courtroom is located on the second story.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Sully County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and the first county seat was Clifton selected in 1883. The county seat was moved to Onida in 1884 and the first courthouse was erected. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1912 to 1913.

 

 

917texas06

County Courthouse – Onida

 

 

0059t10

 

 

0060t10

 

 

0061t10

 

 

0062t10

 

 

2348c15

 

 

2354c15

 

 

2355c15

 

 

2356c15

 

 

2357c15

 

 

2358c15

 

 

0064t10

 

 

0063t10

 

 

2360c15

 

 

2362c15

Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2015