Mellette County is named for Arthur C Mellette, who was the first Governor of South Dakota from 1889 to 1893.
Created : June 3, 1909
County Seat :
White River 1911- present
County Courthouse – White River
Location: 321 East 4th Street / McKinley Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Flahart, Dittman & Hegel Engineers & Architects Inc. of Rapid City
Contractor: Rider Construction of Gordon, Nebraska
Description: The building faces south and is a one story reddish-orange colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town. The south front has a recessed entrance in the center. A wide concrete band runs below the roof line with narrow horizontal windows beneath. The roof line is flat. The basement was constructed in 1975.
E – Tripp County
S – Todd County
W – Jackson County
Photos taken 2009 and 2010