McPherson County is named for General James B McPherson, who was a Civil War general from Andover.
Created: January 8, 1873
Leola 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Leola
Location: 726 Main Street / Broadway Avenue
Built: 1927 – 1928
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Buechner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: Majerus Company
Description: The building faces south and is a stately rectangular three story red colored brick structure. On the south side, the center section projects and has two columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. Over the entrance is an eagle and stone columns rising to the third story. There is a rotunda in the center under a skylight.
See: The architect Buechiner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1884.
E – Brown County
S – Edmunds County
W – Campbell County
Photos taken 2007