Lyman County is named for Major P W Lyman, who was the first settler of Yankton County and territorial legislator in 1873.
Created: January 8, 1873
Oacoma 1893 – 1923
Kennebec 1923 – present
County Courthouse – Kennebec
Location: 300 South Main Street / 2nd Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Chynoweth, Rettinghouse, Perkins & McWayne of Sioux Falls
Contractor: H P Little
Description: The building faces north and is a stately rectangular three story cream colored stone, buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. On the north front there is a projecting center section with cream colored stone trim with small balustrade rails on the second story and arched windows on third story. There is a projecting cornice running below the flat roof line. The windows was remodeled in 1985 and renovations were done in 1993.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Oacoma in 1894.
W – Jones County
Commissioner Minutes – Contractor
Pictures taken 2007, 2010 and 2011