Hamlin County

US States / O-U / South Dakota / Hamlin County
Hamlin

Hamlin County is named for Hannibel Hamlin, who was Vice-President under Abraham Lincoln.

 

Created:  January 8, 1873

County Seat:

Spalding        1878

Esteline         1878 – 1884

Castlewood   1884 – 1914

Hayti              1914 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hayti

 

Location:  350 4th Street / Main Street

Built:   1916 – 1917

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:   Rose & Peterson of Kansas City, Missouri

Contractor:  Gray Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces west and is a four story gray colored stone, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has four columns on the front rising from the second to third story. The first story of granite stone is laid out in a rusticated pattern.The entrance has two recessed doorways. A projecting cornice runs below the fourth story. The roof line is flat. The center of the main floor features an 8 1/2 foot diameter mosaic tile of the South Dakota State seal embedded in the torgoment floor. It can be viewed from every floor through an open central atrium. A marble stairway extends to each floor with a wrought iron balustrade. Four foot marble wainscoting extends up the wall. The courtroom is located on the east side of the third story. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Hamlin County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

N – Codington County

E – Deuel County

S – Brookings County and Kingsbury County

W – Clark County

 

 

 

182f07

 

 

181f07

 

 

697d18

 

 

x1_2

 

 

694d18

 

 

698d18

 

 

699d18

 

 

700d18

 

 

701d18

 

 

702d18

 

 

703d18

 

 

704d18

 

 

705d18

 

 

706d18

 

 

707d18

 

 

183f07

 

 

185f07

Photos taken 2007 and 2018