Hughes County is named for the Honourable Alexander Hughes, who was a member of the territorial legislature.
Created: January 8, 1881
Pierre 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Pierre
Location: 104 East Capitol Avenue / Euclid Avenue
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Moderne and Art Deco
Architect: Hugill and Blatherwick of Sioux Falls
Contractor: Henry Carlson Company of Sioux Falls.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray stone style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has gray colored stone trim and orange colored framing around the windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by George Smith in 1883. In 1909, the cupola was removed.
N – Sully County
W – Stanley County
Picture 1883 Courthouse
Picture 1883 Courthouse with cupola removed 1909
Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2015