Codington County is named for the Reverend G S Codington, who was circuit preacher.
Created: February 15, 1877
Watertown 1878 – present
County Courthouse – Watertown
Location: 14 1st Avenue SE / Broadway
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Neo-Classical and Renaissance
Architect: Freed and Perkins & McWayne
Contractor: Gray Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. There are stone columns rising from the second to third stories. The building is finished in marble and gold leaf. The rotunda has an intricately colored glass dome. The roof line is flat. The large courtroom is located on the east side and a smaller courtroom is located on the west side of the third story. A new courtroom is being constructed on the west side of the basement.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Charles A Dunham and was constructed in 1883,
See: National Register of Historic Places – Codington County Courthouse
S – Hamlin County
W – Clark County
Photos taken 2007, 2009 and 2018