Gregory County is named for John Shaw Gregory of Fort Randall, who was a legislator in 1862.
Created: May 8, 1862
Fairfax 1898 – 1916
Burke 1916 – present
County Courthouse – Burke
Location: 221 East 8th Street / Washington Street
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Art Deco and Prairie
Architect: Walter J Dixon of Mitchell
Contractor: Henry Carlson Construction of Sioux Falls
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The windows are framed with stone trim. On the north front, there is an enclosed portico extending from the building. The roof line is flat.
W – Tripp County
Photos taken 2006 and 2016