Faulk County is named for Andrew J Faulk, who served as the third Dakota Territorial governor from 1866 to 1869.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Edmunds County
E – Spink County
W – Potter County
Created: January 8, 1873
La Foon 1883 – 1886
Faulkton 1886 – present
County Courthouse – Faulkton
Location: 110 9th Avenue South / Court Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Renaissance and Classical Revival
Architect: W R Parsons and Sons of Des Moines, Iowa
Contractor: Gray Construction Company of Watertown
Description: The building faces east and is a stately rectangular three story brown colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscapred grounds in the center of Faulkton. Exterior walls are structural clay tile clad with Omaha pressed brick. Exterior trim is Port Wing brown colored sandstone. The building has a red colored stone base and portico supported by three large columns on the east side rising to a pediment. The roof line of the building has a balustrade. The first story windows have flat lintels and the second story windows are topped by a sandstone entablature supported by aeons. Third story windows are arched brick with pronounced archivolt trim. The interior has a wide central hallway. Two single run stairways, mirroring each other, rise along the north and south walls of the hallway. The balustrades are comprised of turned-wood balusters; newel posts are wood rising from the floor to the ceiling. The floors in the hallways are octagonal, tan ceramic tile highlighted with orange-red squares. The second story hallway floor also has a wide border of earth-tone tiles in varying sizes. All woodwork throughout the building is oak. The courtroom on the west side of the third story does retain two recently restored murals by local artist, Charles T Geener. The mural on the north wall depicts an eagle clutching a shield. The mural on the south wall is of an angel flanked by lions. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 5th Judicial District and the County Magistrate Court.
Note: The W R Parsons and Sons of Des Moines, Iowa designed four of South Dakota’s county courthouses in Hanson County (1904) ( demolished ), Turner County (1902) and Yankton County (1905) ( demolished ).
See: The contractor, Gray Construction Company of Watertown also constructed courthouses in Clark County, Codington County, Douglas County, Edmunds County, Hamlin County, Hyde County, Sully County and Walworth County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Faulk County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1873 and organized in 1883 with the county seat at LaFoon. The county seat moved to Faulkton in 1886 and the first courthouse was a two story wood frame structure. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1905 to 1906 at a cost of $38,459.
County Couthouse - Faulkton
Portrait – Major General Philip Henry Sheridan
Old County Jail - Faulkton
Photos taken 2007 and 2016