Haakon County is named for King Haakon VII of Norway.
Created: November 1, 1914
Philip 1916 – present
County Courthouse – Philip
Location: 140 South Howard Street / Oak Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Style: Art Deco and Prairie
Architect: Perkins & McWayne of Sioux Falls
Contractor: S W Jonasen & Company of Aberdeen
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. On the west front the stone framed entrance extends from the building. There is stone trim along the roof line. The roof line is flat.
N – Ziebach County
S – Jackson County
Photos taken 2010 and 2015