Edmunds County is named for Newton Edmunds, who was the second Dakota Territorial Governor from 1863 to 1866.
Created: January 8, 1873
Ipswich 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Ipswich
Location: 210 2nd Street / 3rd Avenue East
Built: 1933 – 1934
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Roland R Wilcken
Contractor: Gray Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a stately rectangular three story light buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has vertical white colored stone pilasters along the edges and around the main entrance on the west side where the center section projects from the main building. A white colored belt runs along the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was built by Harry Phillips in 1885.
N – McPherson County
E – Brown County
W – Walworth County
Photos taken 2007 and 2016