Potter County is named for Dr. Joel Potter, who was a Yankton legislator in 1877 and a long time steward at the State Hospital at Yankton.
Created: January 8, 1873
Forrest City 1883 – 1885
Gettysburg 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Gettysburg
Location: 201 South Exene Street / West Lincoln Avenue
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Black Hills Company of Deadwood ( J P Eisentraut )
Contractor: Mencier & Stolte of Redfield
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The first story is a light colored sandstone. On each side of the building, the center section projects from the main building with a Greek style roof. Around the roof is a solid stone balustrade. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1888.
E – Faulk County
W – Dewey County
Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2015