Jones County is named for the original settlers who came from Jones County in Iowa.
Created: January 15, 1917
Murdo 1917 – present
County Courthouse – Murdo
Location: 310 Main Street / East 3rd Street
Built: 1976 – 1977
Architect: Ward Whitwan of Sioux Falls
Contractor: Harvey Wald of Pierre
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and sits on the side of a slope. The west front has a central recessed entrance. Blue-grey colored concrete divides the windows on the second story. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1917.
N – Stanley County
E – Lyman County
S – Mellette County
Photos taken 2009 and 2010