Stanley County is named for General David Stanley, who was the Fort Sully Commandant.
Created: January 8, 1873
Fort Pierre 1889 – present
County Courthouse – Fort Pierre
Location: 8 East 2nd Avenue / 1st Street ( Highway 83 )
Built: 1970 – 1971
Architect: Meese Peterson & Foss Inc.
Contractor: Kelly Construction of Pierre
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete rectangular structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The entrances are recessed and the windows are vertical. The main entrance is located in the center of the south side. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Joseph A Schwarz and constructed in 1907.
W – Haakon County
Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2015