Hand County is named for George G Hand, who served as secretary of the Dakota Territory from 1874 to 1883.
Created: January 8, 1873
County Courthouse – Miller
Location: 315 West 1st Avenue / West 4th Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John G Ralston of Waterloo, Iowa
Contractor: Currie Construction Company of Waterloo, Iowa
Description: The building faces east and is a stately rectangular three story gray colored stone structure. The entrance on the east side has a column on each side and a wide header above with a clock at the top section. The north and south ends project slightly. The roof line of the building is a slightly darker color and the roof line is flat.
N – Faulk County
W – Hyde County
Photos taken 2007 and 2016