Spink County is named for the Honorable S L Spink, who was a Yankton a territorial delegate in Congress from 1869 to 1871.
Created: January 8, 1873
Old Ashton 1879 – 1885
Ashton 1885 – 1886
Redfield 1886 – present
County Courthouse – Redfield
Location: 210 East 7th Avenue / East 3rd Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Toltz, King & Day of Saint Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: Standard Construction Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The first story is gray colored limestone and the upper stories are dark red brick. The north front has four tall stone columns rising from the second to third story.
See: The architect, Toltz, King & Day of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and built by George H Pew in 1887.
N – Brown County
S – Beadle County
Photos taken 2009