Campbell County

US States / O-U / South Dakota / Campbell County
Campbell

Campbell County is named for Norman B Campbell, who was a legislator in 1873 and son of General Charles T Campbell.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Emmons County, North Dakota and McIntosh County, North Dakota

E – McPherson County

S – Walworth County

W – Corson County
Created:  January 8, 1873                      Map of South Dakota highlighting Campbell County

County Seat:

Le Grace     1883 – 1888

Mound City  1888 – present

 

County Courthouse – Mound City

 

Location:  111 2nd Street Northeast / Main Street

Built:  1961 – 1962

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Walter J Dixon AIA of Mitchell

Contractor:  Carl C Huether

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story light colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of Mound City. The west section has a higher wing and contains the courtroom. On the east is a lower wing with yellow colored panels above and below the windows. On the south front, the center section is recessed with glass entrance. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the west side of the building.

 

History:  The first county seat was La Grace. The county seat was moved to Mound City in 1888. The first courthouse was a two story wood frame structure erected in 1895. The building was enlarged in938. The architect was Roland R Wicken. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1961 to 1962.

 

 

2396c15

County Courthouse – Mound City

 

 

921texas06

 

 

2398c15

 

 

0035t10

 

 

0017c13

 

 

0018c13

 

 

2399c15

 

 

2400c15

 

 

2401c15

 

 

2402c15

 

 

0036t10

Photos taken 2006, 2010, 2013 and 2015