Roberts County is named for S G Roberts, who was a territorial legislator.
Created: March 8, 1883
Wilmot 1883 – 1889
Sisseton 1889 – present
County Courthouse – Sisseton
Location: 411 2nd Avenue East / Maple Street East
Built: 1902 – 1903
Architect: Buechner & Jacobsen of St. Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: Fred C Norlander of St. Paul, Minnesota
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on a round hill, the highest point in the town. The west front has a one story covered entrance portico which projects from the main building. Above the entrance is a large arched window and two round windows. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with silver colored roof. The rotunda and wall decorations were restored in 1988.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Wilmot in 1884. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $43,994.84
N – Richland County, North Dakota
S – Grant County
Courthouse view west
Photos taken 2007 and 2018