Marion County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Marion County
Marion

Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Fayette County

E – Clay County and Wayne County

S – Jefferson County

W – Washington CountyClinton County and Fayette County

 

Created:  January 24, 1823                                                        Map of Illinois highlighting Marion County

County Seat:

Salem  1823 – present

 

County Courthouse – Salem

 

Location:  100 East Main Street / North Broadway Avenue

Built:  1910 – 1911

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Joseph W Royer

Contractor:  Cope and MacDonald

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Salem. The exterior features ashlar blocks sitting atop a raised basement, with plain string cources at various levels near the basement’s summit and under the edge of the roof. The south front of the square shaped building has a recessed entrance framed with stone and with a large Ionic column on either side which rises to a wide header with ornamentation at the flat roof line. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The foundation is horizontal stone work. Rectangular windows, both single and paired, are set in various parts of the facade. The building renovated in 1978. The architect was Field, Goldman, and Magee.

 

See:  The architect, Joseph W Royer designed countyhouses in Clay CountyChampaign CountyDouglas County, Ford CountyGrundy CountyPiatt County and Richland County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1823 and Salem was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a story-and-a-half log structure built by Aaron Hicks in 1824 for $499. The courthouse was used until 1837 and then sold to the Methodists for a church. The second courthouse was a two story wood structure built by Mark Tully and then by Nathaniel Adams at a cost of $655. The third courthouse was a two story Neo-Classical structure built by Joseph Miller and later by Moore and Morrow in 1857 to 1860 at a cost of $35,000. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1910 to 1911.


1678i-i08

County Courthouse – Salem

 

 

z_6

 

 

1679i-i08

 

 

1681i-i08

Photos taken 2008