Douglas County is named for Stephen A Douglas, who was Secretary of State in 1840, a Representative to Congress, a United States Senator and a candidate for President in 1860.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Champaign County
E – Edgar County
S – Coles County
Created: February 8, 1859
Camargo 1859 – 1860
Tuscola 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Tuscola
Location: 401 South Center Street / East Houghton Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Architect: Joseph W Royer
Contractor: W M Allen Son & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Tuscola. The center section projects from the main building and has four tall columns rising from the second to third stories with a large vertical window in the center. The first story has horizontal stone work. The roof line is flat.
History: The county was created in 1859 and Camargo was designated as the county seat In 1860, the county seat was moved to Tuscola. The first court met in the Illinois Central depot and then in rented premises. The first courthouse was a small wooden structure erected at private expense. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by O L Kinney of Chicago built in 1864 at a cost of $45,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1911 to 1913 at a cost of $170,000.
County Courthouse - Tuscola
Photos taken 2008