Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809, an American revolutionary leader and author of the Declaration of Independence.
Created: March 26, 1819
Mount Vernon 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Vernon
Location: 100 10th Street / Main Street
Built: 1939 – 1941
Style: Art Deco
Architect: William R McCoy of McCoy and Wilson
Contractor: J M Stover and other local trades
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Mount Vernon. The south front has three vertical sections dived by stone pillars and with doorway in the center and a large window on the east and west section on the first story, and large windows in each panel on the second story. Above the doorway is a clock. The third story is recessed. The building has square lines with sections protruding from the main building. The building was constructed under the Public Works Administration ( PWA ).
Note: The first courthouse was a log building built in 1819. The building collapsed and was replaced at a cost of $5,500 in 1840 by a square brick structure. The second courthouse burned in 1869 and the third courthouse was built in 1871 but was destroyed by a tornado in 1888. The fourth and previous courthouse was designed by J W Geddis and constructed by Bippes & Kanzeier in 1889, and was replaced by the fifth and present courthouse.
See: Illinois Appellate Court – Mount Vernonis located in the county.
N – Marion County
S – Franklin County
Photos taken 2007 and 2012