Montgomery County is named for is named for Richard Montgomery, who was a United States general killed in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 12, 1821
Hamilton 1821 – 1823
Hillsboro 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Hillsboro
Location: 1 Courthouse Square / South Main Street
Built: 1868 – 1872
Style: Second Empire and Italianate
Architect: G B Randall of Chicago
Contractor: Joseph C Hanner
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building sits in the center of Courthouse Square. On the south front are a square brick tower on the southwest corner, a square tower with mansard roof on the southeast corner, and recessed center section with white portico having two white columns on the first story. On the north side are two small square brick towers that rise four stories and have small mansard roofs. An addition was addedin 1912.
County Courts Building – Hillsboro
Location: 120 North Main Street / Public Square
Built: 1992 – 1993
Architect: Design Architects Inc. of Hillsboro
Contractor: Grunloh Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. There are glass panel walls on either side of the central entrance on the east side. The roof is sloped.
W – Macoupin County
Photos taken 2007 and 2012