Effingham County is named for Lord Effingham, who was a general in the British army and who resigned his commission in 1775 refusing to serve in the war against the colonies.
Created: February 15, 1831
Ewington 1833 – 1860
Effingham 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Effingham
Location: 120 West Jefferson Avenue / North 5th Street
Built: 2006 – 2007
Architect: Paul Greco of Durrant Group
Contractor: Grunloh Construction
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story buff colored brick, stone, glass and concrete structure. The southwest corner of the building has a high glass and stone tower with the entrance lobby on the first story. On the south side the windows form vertical panels with stone pillars supporting the overhang on the first story. The west side has the same pillars but few windows. The roof line is flat. The building is called the Effingham County Government Center.
Old County Courthouse – Effingham
Location: 101 North 4th Street / West Jefferson Avenue
Built: 1871 – 1872
Style: Second Empire
Architect: W E Grey
Contractor: William Brown
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has a small wood portico. The windows of the building are arched and trimmed with stone. The corners of the building are also trimmed with stone. There is a mansard roof with dormer windows. On the center of the roof is a square wood clock tower with flat roof.
W – Fayette County
Photos taken 2008