Fayette County is named for Marie Joseph Paul Lafayette, who was a French general who fought in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1757 to 1834.
Created: February 14, 1821
Vandalia 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Vandalia
Location: 221 South 7th Street / West Gallatin Street
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: Frederick Remann
Contractor: Frederick Remann
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building sits on the top of a small hill. The southeast corner has a wood porch with double wood columns. On the south side is a bay window. The windows of the older section are arched. The roof line has several peaks with white eaves. In 1919, the county purchased the Remann Home and in 1932 and 1933, the building was renovated for use as the courthouse. An addition was added on the north side and in 1993, a newer addition on the west side.
Old County Courthouse – Vandalia
Location: 315 West Gallatin Street / South 4th Street
Style: Federalist and Greek Revival style
Architect: David B. Waterman and Company; William Hodge; John Taylor and Company; John Hull; the Lee brothers; Thomas B. Hickman; Maddox, Waterman and Company; Johnson and Graves; William Linn; and William Greenup.
Contractor: David B. Waterman and Company; William Hodge; John Taylor and Company; John Hull; the Lee brothers; Thomas B. Hickman; Maddox, Waterman and Company; Johnson and Graves; William Linn; and William Greenup.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building served as the fourth statehouse from 1836 to 1839. There are large porticos on the north and south sides supported by four large pillars. The Supreme Court Chamber is on the first floor and the House of Representatives and the Senate Chamber are on the second floor. Local merchants, such as Linn, James Black, Ebenezer Capps, Robert Blackwell, Charles Prentice, Robert McLaughlin, and Frederick Remann provided tools and materials. Moses Phillips made a table, and Winslow Pilcher hauled lumber to the public square.
Photos taken 2008 and 2012