Linn County is named for Lewis Fields Linn, who was a doctor and a United States Senator from Missouri.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Johnson County
W – Benton County
Created: December 21, 1837
Marion 1839 – 1919
Cedar Rapids 1919 – present
County Courthouse – Cedar Rapids
Location: 50 3rd Avenue Bridge ( Mays Island )
Built: 1923 – 1925
Style: Roman and Greek
Architect: Joseph W Royer and James A Wetmore
Contractor: Madsen & Peterson
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story Bedford limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in thye center of Cedar Rapids. The front of the building has ten large columns with recessed windows and entrances. The interior has posts and walls made of travertine and marble floors. The building houses the County District Court of the 6 Judicial District. The building was rededicated in 1975, and the building was repaired after a flood in 2008.
See: The architect Joseph W Royer of Urbana, Illinois designed courthouses in Illinois in Bureau County, Champaign County, Clay County, Douglas County, Ford County, Grundy County, Marion County, Piatt County and Richland County; in Wisconsin in Douglas County.
History: The county was created in 1837 and Marion was selected as the county seat in 1839. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure built in Marion in 1842 at a cost of $40,000. The second courthouse was designed by George W Gray and constructed in Marion in 1855. The county seat was moved to Cedar Rapids in 1919. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1929 to 1933 at a cost 0f $1,300,000.
Photos taken 2008