Clay County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Clay County

Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was an American statesman, United States Senator and Congressman from Kentucky 1806-1852, U.S. Secretary of State 1825-1829, three times Speaker of the House and three times candidate for president.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Effingham County and Jasper County

E – Jasper County and Richland County

S – Wayne County 

W – Marion County and Fayette County


Created:  December 23, 1824                                                    Map of Illinois highlighting Clay County

County Seat:

Hubbardsville   1825 – 1841

Louisville          1841 – present


County Courthouse – Louisville


Location:  111 West Chestnut Street / South Main Street

Built:  1912 – 1913

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Joseph W Royer

Contractor:  English Brothers of Champaign


Description: The building faces north and is a two story graycolored limestone structure. The north and south wings extend from the main building and have two large columns framing the recessed entrance on the first story. Around the roof line is a balustrade. On the first story, double-doors on the southeast corner of the lobby open to the Circuit Courtroom. The judge’s bench, witness stand and desk are on a raised platform on the northeast wall. The grand staircase on the north wall leads to a narrow lobby, running east on the second story. The courtroom has coffered ceilings with a stained glass skylight in the center. 


See:  The architect, Joseph W Royer designed countyhouses in Champaign CountyDouglas County, Ford CountyGrundy CountyMarion CountyPiatt County and Richland County.


See:  The contractor, English Brothers of Champaign constructed courthouses in Jackson CountyMadison County and Tazewell County.


History:  The county seat was established at Hubbardsille in 1825. The Court first met at the home of John McCawley. The first courthouse was built by Daniel May on the public square. The county seat was moved to Louisville in 1841. The second courthouse was built by Samuel Slocumb and completed by Hartwig Samuelson in 1846. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1912 to 1913.




County Courthouse – Louisville







Photos taken 2008