Shelby County is named for Isaac Shelby, who was the first Governor of Kentucky and who defeated the British at the Battle of Kings Mountain during the Revolutionary War,
Created: January 23, 1827
Shelbyville 1827 – present
County Courthouse – Shelbyville
Location: 301 East Main Street / North Washington Street
Built: 1879 – 1882
Architect: O H Placey of Lincoln, Nebraska
Contractor: Thomas Caldwell and Hugh Caldwell, of Ottawa
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has an arched entrance on the first story and two Grecian statues representing the Goddesses of Liberty and Justice, in niches above the entrance. On each corner are square brick towers with arched windows and steep roofs with parapet at the top. On the center of the roof is an octagonal tower with steep roof and parapet at the top. In the courtroom is the Robert Root painting of the Lincoln-Thornton debate.
See: The architect, O H Placey of Lincoln, designed the courthouse in Nebraska in Washington County.
Photos taken 2008