Douglas County is named for Stephen A Douglas, who was a United States Senator from Illinois.
Created: February 9, 1854
Superior 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Superior
Location: 1313 Belknap Street / Hammond Avenue
Built: 1918 – 1919
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Royer & Radcliff
Contractor: Fleischer Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a gray colored stone three story rectangular structure. The building is constructed with Bedford blue cut stone and Pavanazza marble. On the first story the stone facing is horizontal with arched windows. Along the south front are eight stone columns rising from the second to third story. A wide stone trim surrounds the roof line.
County Administration – Superior
Location: 1409 Hammond Avenue / Belknap Street
Built: 2000 – 2003
Architect: D C Architects
Contractor: Reuben Johnson & Son, Inc. and Lakehead Constructors, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The building is called the “Government Center” and is connected on the south side to the courthouse. There is a high center atrium with county offices on the east side and Superior City Hall offices on the west side. The north entrance is recessed and has a lerge glass section above the entrance. The roof line is flat.
N – Saint Louis County, Minnesota and Lake Superior
E – Bayfield County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010