Jasper County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Jasper County
Jasper

Jasper County is named for William Jasper, who was a famous scout for the Continentals during the American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Cumberland County and Clark County

E – Crawford County

S – Richland County and Clay County

W – Clay County and Effingham County

 

Created:  February 15, 1831                                                      Map of Illinois highlighting Jasper County

County Seat:

Newton  1835 – present

 

County Courthouse – Newton

 

Location:  100 West Jourdon Street / North Van Buren Street

Built:  1877 – 1878

Style:  Georgian Revival

Architect:  Charles Eppinghowser.

Contractor:  J I Grange and Charles Eppinghowser.

 

Description: The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Newton. The building is cross shaped. The north side has a one story porch supported by ten thin columns. The entrance is recessed. On the second story, the east and west sections are recessed with arched windows. The roof line is flat. The foundation is course stone. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was remodeled in 1963 and the exterior was changed.

 

History:  The county was created in 1831 and Newton was selected as the county seat in 1835. The house of Louis W Jordan was used as the county office until the first courthouse, a log structure was erected in 1835 to 1836. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Benjamin Harris in 1839 to 1841 at a cost of $2,875. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1877 to 1878 at a cost of $34,165.

 

County Office Building – Newton

 

0053t12

 

Location:  204 W Washington Street / S Lafayette Street

Built:  1969 – 1970

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description: The building faces north and is a one story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Newton to the southwest of the courthouse. The building was formerly the First National Bank and was acquired by the county in 2002. The building contains the Commissioner’s Room.

 

 

0047t12

County Courthouse – Newton

 

 

0048t12

 

 

0045t12

 

 

0046t12

 

 

1730i-i08

 

 

1727i-i08

 

 

0050t12

 

 

1733i-i08

 

 

0051t12

 

 

0049t12

 

 

0052t12

County Office Building – Newton

 

 

0054t12

 

 

0058t12

Commissioner’s Room

 

 

0057t12

 

 

0055t12

 

 

0056t12

Photos taken 2008 and 2012