Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States and Comander in Chief of the Army during the American Revolution.
Created: January 2, 1818
Covington 1818 – 1831
Nashville 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Nashville
Location: 101 East St. Louis Street / North East Court Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Style: Italianate and Second Empire
Architect: John Seyler
Contractor: A Hollenbeck
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front is a square red brick tower with white columns flanking the doorway, two long narrow windows on the second story and a round window under the white cornice and gables. A one story addition is on the east and west of the front tower. Behind the tower is a single window jut and behind that the main building. The corners have white stone trim. White horizontal trim divided the rough stone base from the first story. There are white gables and cornices at the roofline. Additions were made in 1965.
N – Clinton County