Dubuque County is named for Julien Dubuque, who was a French Canadian and the first European settler of Iowa.
Created: September 6, 1834
Dubuque 1834 – present
County Courthouse – Dubuque
Location: 720 Central Avenue / East 7th Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Style: Early Victorian, Renaissance, Romanesque and Beaux Arts
Architect: Fridolin Heer & Son of Dubuque
Contractor: Albert Ney of Dubuque
Description: The building faces faces west and is a four story red colored brick and Bedford limestone structure. The west portico has two small arches on the first story with steps up to the second story entrance with balcony supported by four columns. The central section rises to a pediment at the roof. The building corners are trimmed with limestone which also faces the second story. The first story is course stone. On the centre of the roof is a high square brick tower with cupola having a gold dome with the Statue of Justice at the top. The building was renovated in 1975 and 1983. The contract manager was Walter J Holl and Abid Asid Ibd. On the north side of the building is the Old Jail.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1838, replaced in 1843 by a brick building.
W – Delaware County
Photos taken 2010