Caroline County is named for Caroline of Ansbach, who was the wife of King George III of Great Britain.
Created: June 7, 1727
Several places 1728 – 1803
Bowling Green 1803 – present
County Courthouse – Bowling Green
Location: SE – Main Street / Courthouse Lane
Built: 1830 – 1835
Style: Greek-Roman Revival
Architect: William B Phillips
Contractor: Malcolm F Crawford
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick laid in Flemish bond and wood structure. The building is surrounded by a Tuscan entablature with a Tuscan pediment at either end. The front pediment’s tympanum is plastered and features a semi-circular window in the center. There is an arcade along the first story at the front with four arches and side arches. On the roof is a small square cupola. The roof is hipped. Addition added in 1907. The architect was William C West. Addition made in 1970.
Note: The builder and construction date are not known as the county records were destroyed. The building was constructed between 130 and 1835. The style of the building follows Thomas Jefferson’s design for Virginia courthouses. The building resembles the courthouse in Madison County and it is assumed that the same builders were involved. The courthouse is the sixth courthouse to serve the county.
County Courthouse Annex – Bowling Green
Location: 111 Ennis Street / Courthouse Lane
Built: 2001 – 2003
Architect: Moseley Architects, Inc. of Richmond
Contractor: Kenbridge Construction Company of Kenbridge.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The front has a one story arcade with three arches and side arches enclosed with glass windows. Above is a balcony A white colored horizontal belt runs between the first and second stories, At the front is a semi-circular section above the roof line.
County District Court – Bowling Green
Location: 112 Courthouse Lane / Ennis Street
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The main entrance is at the northeast corner with a recessed arched doorway with small pediment above, The center section is recessed with a central white colored doorway. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 2005 to 2006. The architect was Moseley Architects, Inc. if Richmond and the contractor was Daniel & Company. Inc.
S – Hanover County
Photos taken 2013