Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.
Created: December 4, 1792
Madison 1792 – present
County Courthouse – Madison
Location: 1 South Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1828 – 1830
Architect: Malcom F Crawford
Contractor: Malcolm F Crawford, Richard S Boulware and William B Phillips
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The southeast front has an arcade on the first story with four arch and an arch at each end. The building rises to a pediment with octagonal white cupola with green colored dome above. The roof is hipped. On the north side is the Clerk’s Office with glass entrance between the building and a new addition extending northwest. Across Main Street is the red colored brick Courthouse Annex.
See: The Caroline County courthouse is similar in design.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Madison County Courthouse
W – Page County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2013