Westmoreland County is named for Westmoreland County in the United Kingdom.
Created: July 5, 1653
Montross 1653 – present
County Courthouse – Montross
Location: NW – Kings Highway / Polk Street
Built: 1899 – 1900
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Bartholomew Smith Fireproof Construction Company
Contractor: Bartholomew Smith Fireproof Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The east front has a large portico with four tall white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed door is framed with white colored wood. There is a small balcony on the second story. The building forms a “T” shape with north and south wings. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled in 1930.
County Judicial Center – Montross
Location: 115 Polk Street / Ames Lane
Built: 2013 – 2014
Architect: dBF Associates of Charlottesville
Contractor: W M Schlosser Company Inc. of Chesapeake
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a projecting center section with portico rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are large square towers at either end of the front of the building. There is a square cupola with clock above the portico. The roof is hipped. The building is presently under construction to the northwest of the Administration Building.
County Administration – Montross
Location: 111 Polk Street / Ames Lane
Built: 1974 – 1976
Architect: C W Ruff, Jr. and J Carl Morris and Associates Inc.
Contractor: Milton L Hammond, Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a long canopy supported with brick pillars. The central entrance is recessed. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the George D English, Sr. Memorial Building, The District Court is housed in the building.
Photos taken 2013