Lunenburg County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Lunenburg County
1459VM13

Lunenburg County is named for the Duchy of Brunswick-Lunenburg from which the current line of British monarchs hailed.

 

Created:  May 6, 1745

County Seat: 

Lunenburg  1745 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Lunenburg  

 

Location:  11435 Courthouse Road / Lunenburg County Road

Built:  1827

Style:  Greek-Roman Revival

Architect:  Dabney Crosby Sr. and William A Howards

Contractor:  Dabney Crosby Sr. and William A Howards

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The south front has a large portico with four white colored Doric columns rising to a pediment with fanlight at the roof line. There is a bell inside the pediment section. Double stairs ascend to the second story entrance. The interior has been modernized with the old courtroom on north side of the second story. The building is connected on the north side with the new courthouse. An addition in 1857 and 1858 was completed by Ronert Crymes who raised the courtroom to the second story. The building was enlarged in 1939 and the exterior stairs added. The architect was Marcellus E. Wright, Sr. of Richmond. A further addition was added on the north side in 1973 to 1974.

 

Note:  During the period of construction slave labor would have been used under the direction of a white supervisor. The design resembles the Thomas Jefferson designed courthouses in Virginia and was inspired by the courthouse in Charlotte County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Lunenburg County Courthouse District

 

County Courthouse – Lunenburg  

 

1475vm13

 

Location:  11435 Courthouse Road / Lunenburg County Road

Built:  2004 – 2006

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wiley and Wilson

Contractor:  Canavan Construction Company, LLC

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment with fanlight at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with white colored wood. The building has east and west wings along the south side. The roof is hipped. The building is connected to the old courthouse on the south side.

 

See:  The architect, Wiley and Wilson of Lynchburg, also designed courthouses in Charles City County, Gloucester County, Lancaster County, Middlesex County and Richmond County.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Prince Edward County and Nottoway County

E – Brunswick County

S – Mecklenburg County

W – Charlotte County

 

 

 

1460vm13

 

 

1461vm13

 

 

1462vm13

 

 

1464vm13

 

 

1465vm13

 

 

1467vm13

 

 

1468vm13

 

 

1469vm13

 

 

1470vm13

 

 

1466vm13

 

 

1474vm13

 

 

1476vm13

 

 

1477vm13

 

 

1472vm13

 

 

1479vm13

Photos taken 2013