Cumberland County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Cumberland County
1371VM13

Cumberland County is named for Prince William, Duke of Cumberland, who was the 3rd son of King George II of England.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Fluvanna County and Goochland County

E – Powhatan County and Amelia County

S – Prince Edward County

W – Buckingham County

 

Created:  January 1, 1748                      Map of Virginia highlighting Cumberland County

County Seat: 

Cumberland  1749 – present

 

County Courthouse – Cumberland  

 

Location:  1 Court House Circle / Foster Road

Built:  1818 – 1821

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  William A Howard

Contractor:  William A Howard

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cumberland. The rectangular building is located on Courthouse Square with Clerk’s Office (1821), Jail (1823) and Administration Building (1966). The south front has a large Tuscan portico with four white colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The recessed paneled double doors are framed by molded white colored trim and topped by a pediment and pulvinated frieze. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1960 and an addition was constructed on the east side. The architect was Moseley Architects, Inc.

 

Note:  The architect followed the design established by Thomas Jefferson.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Cumberland County Courthouse

 

County Clerk’s Office – Cumberland  

 

1378vm13

 

Location:  1 Court House Circle / Foster Road

Built:  1821 – 1822

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  William A Howard

Contractor:  William A Howard

 

Description:  The building faces south and s a one story red colored brick structure. The building is located on Courthouse Square on the east side of the courthouse. The south front has a small portico with four octagonal white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped.

 

History:  The first courthouse in 1749 was the Mosby Tavern built in 1740. The tavern served as the courthouse until Powhatan County was created in 1777. The county seat was moved to Cumberland and the second courthouse was erected in 1777. The third and present courthouse was built in 1818 to 1821. The architect follow the design established by Thomas Jefferson.

 

 

1372vm13

County Courthouse – Cumberland

 

 

1373vm13

 

 

1374vm13

 

 

1376vm13

 

 

1377vm13

 

 

1375vm13

 

 

1370vm13

Photos taken 2013