Charlotte County is named for Queen Charlotte, who was the wife of King George III of England.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Lunenburg County
Created: May 26, 1764
Charlotte Court House 1765 – present
County Courthouse – Charlotte Court House
Location: 125 David Bruce Avenue / Legrande Avenue
Built: 1821 – 1823
Style: Greek-Roman Revival
Architect: Thomas Jefferson
Contractor: John Percival
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The north front of the rectangular building has a large Truscan portico with four whitewashed stuccoed columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. There is a bell hanging from the pediment. The floor of the portico has decorative tiles. The widows have green colored shutters. The courtroom is located on the first story.
Note: The plans were drawn by Thomas Jefferson for the 1822 Buckingham County courthouse. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $5,362.61.
See: Thomas Jefferson designed the Roman Temple style of courthouse. Prominent among the courthouse builders who had worked at the University of Virginia were Dabney Cosby, Sr., Malcolm F Crawford, and William B Phillips. They in turn influenced other builders in the Jeffersonian idiom, including Branch Ellington, William A Howard, David Meade, and Valentine Parrish. Courthouse still standing include those in Buckingham County and Charlotte County designed by Jefferson and those in Caroline County, Clarke County, Cumberland County, Goochland County, Greene County, Lunenburg County, Madison County, Mecklenburg County, Nottoway County, Page County, Rappahannock County and Sussex County.
County Clerk’s Office – Charlotte Court House
Location: 111 Legrande Avenue / David Bruce Avenue
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The west front has a wide one story porch supported by four pillars. There are green colored shutters on the windows. The roof is hipped.
County Registrar’s Office – Charlotte Court House
Location: 115 Legrande Avenue / David Bruce Avenue
Style: Late Victorian
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick style structure. The west front has a large square projecting brick tower with steep green colored pyramidal roof. The entrance is recessed. There are green colored shutters on the windows. The roof is hipped. A molded water table, belt courses, frieze, and segmental and semicircular-arched openings are all executed in dark red colored brick and are suggestive of the Romanesque Revival style of architecture, popular for public buildings at the tum of the century.
Photos taken 2013