Richmond County is named for Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond, who was the illegitimate son of King Charles II of Great Britain.
Created: April 16, 1692
Warsaw 1692 – present
County Courthouse – Warsaw
Location: 101 Court Circle / Campus Drive
Built: 2006 – 2007
Architect: Wiley & Wilson
Contractor: Haley Builders
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. On the second story of the west front has a porch with three arches and recessed entrance. Above the porch is a gabled roof. The building descends a slop with the rear entrance on the first story. The windows are circular.
Old County Courthouse – Warsaw
Location: SE – Richmond Road / Main Street
Built: 1748 – 1748
Architect: Landon Carter.
Contractor: Landon Carter.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and wood structure. The north front has a projecting central section with entrance. The windows are arched. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled in 1877.The architect was T Buckler Ghequiere
Note: The courthouse is the fifth oldest courthouse still in use in the United States. The oldest courthouse is located in King William County, Virginia. second oldest courthouses is located in Salem County, New Jersey (1735). The third oldest is in Hanover County, Virginia (1737). The fourth oldest is in Charles City County, Virginia (1740).
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1692. The previous courthouse was built in 1730.
General District Courthouse – Warsaw
Location: 201 Court Circle / Campus Drive
Built: 1975 – 1976
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The long rectangular building is located on the south side of the old courthouse. The north front has a recessed central entrance on the second story and the roof slants to the east and west sides. There are windows along the east side. The building houses the General District Court and the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.
W – Essex County
Photos taken 2013