King and Queen County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / King and Queen County

King and Queen County is named for King William III and Queen Mary II of Great Britain.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Essex County and Middlesex County 

E – Gloucester County

S – James City CountyNew Kent County and King William County

W – Caroline County


Created:  April 16, 1691                          Map of Virginia highlighting King and Queen County

County Seat: 

King and Queen Courthouse  1691 – present


Old County Courthouse – King and Queen Courthouse  


Location:  Highway 681 / Highway 14

Built:  1866 – 1867

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown


Description:  The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town.The building is crucifix shaped with the north wing having the main entrance. The roof is hipped. Remodeled 1864 after fire. The wings were added in 1895. Behind the courthouse is the Old Jail.


County Courthouse – King and Queen Courthouse  




Location:  Highway 681 / Highway 14

Built:  1996 – 1997

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Mosley Harris & McClintock

Contractor:  Oyster Point Construction Company


Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped ground on the east side of the old courthouse in the center of the town. The north section is a large square one story building. On the south side is a two story rectangular building with hipped roof. Across the front are a series of arches. The building is named as the Courts and Administration Building.


See:  The 9th Judicial Circuit includes Charles City County, Gloucester County, James City CountyKing William County, Mathews County, Middlesex County, New Kent CountyPoquoson, Williamsburg and York County




County Courthouse - King and Queen Courthouse 




Old County Courthouse
















Old Jail  




County Courthouse













Photos taken 2013